The report reveals many inadequacies of current research and CSR reporting which might be expected to improve the marketing performance of companies:
* although concern for sustainability issues is high, the strength and depth of attitudes are low
* the necessary ingredients for cultural change are absent
the level of debate about sustainability is uninformative and short-hand communications are ineffective
* CSR reporting is directed to the wrong audience
* CSR performance cannot become an intangible asset of businesses and affect shareholder value unless it affects their business performance first
* marketers need to take a holistic view of their organisation and the value of sustainable production to brand image
The work demonstrates the need for improved methods and metrics as well as for many organisations to research and evaluate their role in promoting sustainable consumption and production.