Are you an expert in Sustainability metrics and Life Cycle Assessment in the domain of agrifood? Do you want to contribute to a future-proof and sustainable world by reducing the environmental and social footprint of agricultural/food products and production practices?
This vacancy is part of the expertise group Performance & Impact Agrisectors, one of the seven groups within Wageningen Economic Research. This group consists of 35 enthusiastic professionals who are dedicated to help solving challenges such as how we can produce enough healthy and safe food in a sustainable and fair way, reducing climate change, preserving biodiversity and natural resources. We conduct socio-economic studies (e.g., monitoring projects, scenario studies, ex-ante evaluations) and policy research (policy analyses, evaluations, foresights) for national and international governments, NGOs and businesses, contributing to the Sustainable Development Goals. Our work has often direct impact on decisions of governments and businesses.
We find the dissemination of our research results very important, for example through client presentations, workshops, (interactive) reports and scientific publications. In addition, we communicate actively about our research and participate in the social debate.
As a researcher, you will work in alternating interdisciplinary project teams on research projects in the field of sustainability metrics and life cycle assessment (LCA). You help to define and implement measurement systems, develop LCA methodologies and tools, interpret and report the results. You will present the research results in a clear manner and, based on that, provide independent advice to our clients. Depending on your experience, you acquire and lead projects. You are a sparring partner for our clients and able to translate their knowledge questions into clear research and project proposals.
Examples of challenges that you may work on include:
- Creation of LCA standards (like EU Product Environmental Footprint Category Rules) for a specific product category
- Define GHG emissions goals, mitigation paths and measure progress
- A Life Cycle Analysis on a new vegan food product to advise a company on sourcing strategies
- In a European project, assess newly developed technical alternatives for pesticides on sustainability and security, new scenarios for livestock systems or assess current farming and marine systems
- Where needed, develop new methods (e.g., anticipatory LCA and Social LCA)
Meer informatie/solliciteren: www.wur.nl.